Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Lillie's Q - 1/3/2012

Craving BBQ I visited Lillie's Q (1856 W. North Ave.), a recent addition to the BBQ scene in Chicago having opened in the middle of 2010. The chef, Charlie McKenna, has won numerous awards for his sauces and meats, including 1st place at the Memphis BBQ competition (usually regarded as the world championship of barbeque).

After being seated I was immediately sidetracked when I spotted 'limited quantity' smoked fried chicken on the menu. Well of course I thought I better have that, and at $20 for 3 pieces I figured it would do the conga line into my mouth. The waitress gave her spiel of how the chicken is smoked, then fried, then smoked again and then fried again (I'm guessing that's Lillie's secret recipe for any food). I nodded approvingly and ordered some tri tip as well for good measure.

The chicken was delicious. It was piping hot, moist, smokey and with the crispiest skin I've ever had, which caused it to leave behind these little crispy chunks a'la Long John Silvers. It also came with a little pot of tupelo honey and a honey dipper. Sadly this was the first time I've ever used a honey dipper as I previously have only seen them exist in Golden Graham commercials. Fried chicken + honey = yes.

The tri tip was very tasty but came to the table lukewarm. It was given new life by the 5 different regional sauces the restaurant keeps at each table; a brilliant touch that ensures you get the style of sauce you are accustomed to.

Smoked fried chicken - 8.5 Adal's

Tri Tip - 7 Adal's

Hushpuppies - 5 Adal's


Smoked fried chicken
Tri tip and a brioche bun
Hushpuppies with sweet potato dipping sauce
Smoked fried chicken with tupelo honey




No comments:

Post a Comment