Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Doughnut Vault - 1/5/2012

Had the day off so I visited The Doughnut Vault (401 1/2 N. Franklin) to grab breakfast for the roommates.

The first time I went here it was a line of 80-90 people, this time there was only a handful of folks so I was in and out in 5 minutes. The inside is about 20 feet long and 6 feet wide, so it's like walking into a triple-wide phone booth.

This place has been buzzed about since it opened, famously making x amount of donuts and then closing when they are sold out, whether that's 10 minutes after opening or at the latest 12:30pm.

I got the chestnut, chocolate glazed and gingerbread this time around. The gingerbread, coming in a stack of 3, had a good flavor to it but the crust was hardened as if it had been sitting out. The chestnut was fantastic but the chocolate glaze was by far the highlight. At around the size of a small dog it made me feel like I was being beamed up in the Star Trek transporter after 3 bites...which is to say tingly and like I just got onset diabetes.

The Donuts are about $3 a piece, cash only and expect to wait between 10 and 25 minutes depending on what time you go.

Chocolate Glaze w/sprinkles - 8 Adal's

Chestnut - 6 Adal's

Gingerbread stack - 3 Adal's


chocolate sprinkle doughnut
Gingerbread stack doughnuts

Chestnut doughnut
doughnut and Brett

2 comments: